Kayak finds 80% of Brits holiday in repeat destinations

Posted by Ben Ireland on
Kayak finds 80% of Brits holiday in repeat destinations

Millions of Brits are going on holiday to the same destination every year because it has British pubs with Sky Sports, according to new research from Kayak.

The travel search engine found that 20% of Brits that go on holiday say they go to a different destination every year, leaving 80% who choose to revisit places they have been before.

On average, Kayak found that British travellers have been to at least one holiday destination five times in the past ten years. Twelve per cent have visited the same destination nine or more times in that period, while 4% have been to the same destination 15 times or more in the past decade.

Among those who have visited the same destination at least three times in the past ten years (54%), the main reason given for the repeat trips (30%) is that ‘it is the best place to go on holiday’.

A quarter (26%) say the reason is because they have a holiday home or visit friends who live abroad, while nearly a fifth (19%) are worried about risking going somewhere new in case they don’t like it. A further 12% say they visit the same hotel because they ‘like the staff’ while 7% say they are ‘unadventurous’.

One in 20 adults (5%) and nearly one in ten men (8%) said that the main reason they go back to the same destination for their holiday is because it has British pubs which show Sky Sports. This equates to around 1.3m British holidaymakers, according to Kayak.

John-Lee Saez, managing director for Kayak Europe, said: “Holidays are a chance to relax and unwind, and for many Brits, that means the security of going back to somewhere they know and love, and being able to do what they enjoy at home, such as keeping up with the footie or cricket.

“However, for many, travel is all about broadening your horizons and discovering something new. The main reason that Brits go back to the same destination is because they think it is the best – but it can be hard to know that for sure if you rarely visit anywhere else.

Kayak offers an Explore service on its site, which browsers use to input their holiday budget to find out where they can go for the money.


This is a community-moderated forum.
All post are the individual views of the respective commenter and are not the expressed views of Travolution.
By posting your comments you agree to accept our Terms & Conditions.

Jacobs Media Group is honoured to be the recipient of the 2020 Queen's Award for Enterprise.

The highest official awards for UK businesses since being established by royal warrant in 1965. Read more.