The latest quarterly insights report from big data marketing specialist Sojern has analysed the search and booking behaviour of more than 600 million traveller intent data points, across four continents.
The analysis found that Cyber Monday deals – the Monday after the US Thanksgiving holiday – has a significant impact worldwide.
Other key 2014 fourth quarter findings included:
• The Top ten countries searched were: United States, Spain, Germany, United Kingdom, Italy, Turkey, France, Russia, India, Mexico.
• Europeans travelled mostly regionally and flocked to cities with established traditional Christmas markets.
• A tumbling Russian rouble shifted travel patterns to and from Russia. Outbound searches were down 38% over the last year.
• Online Cyber Monday deals were a major factor in shaping travel, kicking off a 92% increase in worldwide flight bookings overnight, accounting for a four-fold surge week over week.
• European travellers were the early birds for booking their December holiday travel , with nearly half of all bookings (48% ) made in November.
• Turkey was the top destinations for last minute European bookers. Top five cities included Barcelona, Izmir, Berlin, London and Antalya.
Summer 2015 trends included:
• Spain remains the number one destination for British and German travellers.
• Iceland is a new, top searched for destination.
• Party destinations Ibiza and Las Vegas top UK traveller charts.
• Italy is on the upswing in summer travel planning.